209. Hope For When Motherhood is Really Hard (with Katie Faris)31m | May 9, 2023
Mother’s Day isn’t always flowers and chocolate and handmade cards. For many women, it’s a hard reminder of something that isn’t, something that once was, or something that might never be.
Maybe you’ve lost a child.
Maybe you’re estranged from your mom.
Maybe your child has a life-threatening disease.
Maybe you’ve lost your mother.
Maybe you’re single and longing for marriage and motherhood.
Maybe that adoption you thought was going to go through didn’t.
Maybe you never really had a mother figure in your life.
Maybe you’re desperately longing for a child and struggling with infertility.
Maybe you are estranged from your grown child.
There are many, many reasons why today might be painful for you. I don’t know your exact circumstances or the burdens you are carrying today. But if Mother’s Day is hard for you, I want you to know this: You are not alone.
I can’t be there physically to hug you and pray with you like I wish I could, but I want you to know that I care about you and others in this community here do, too.
You are loved. You are not alone. You are not forgotten.
I recorded a special Mother's Day episode of my podcast a few weeks back with Katie Faris, the author of the book God Is Still Good: Gospel Hope and Comfort for the Unexpected Sorrows of Motherhood.
Katie has walked through really devastating times as a mom: miscarriage and three of her children being diagnosed with a genetic condition that has caused many difficult health struggles and will impact her kids for the rest of their lives.
In this episode, she shares more of her story and how she has clung to God and relied upon Him during the hard and dark seasons. I appreciated her honesty and vulnerability, but also her empathy and compassion. If you're walking through a really difficult season related to motherhood or if Mother's Day is really hard for you, I think this episode will encourage your heart.
In This Episode
[01:01] - Today’s guest is Katie Faris!
[05:02] - Katie shares the story of walking through the Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency diagnosis with three of her kids.
[13:14] - How has Katie held on to the belief that God is good?
[16:25] - Why having a go-to list of Bible verses has made such a difference.
[21:49] - Encouragement for the woman feeling discouraged and hopeless.
[26:08] - What would Katie say to women for whom Mother's Day is hard?
Links & Resources
- God Is Still Good: Gospel Hope and Comfort for the Unexpected Sorrows of Motherhood by Katie Faris
- Love-Centered Parenting: The No-Fail Guide to Launching Your Kids by Crystal Paine
- 10 Days to Be a Happier Mom
- Sign up for the Hot Deals Email List
- My Instagram account (I’d love for you to follow me there! I usually hop on at least a few times per day and share behind-the-scenes photos and videos, my grocery store hauls, funny stories, or just anything I’m pondering or would like your advice or feedback on!)
- Have feedback on the show or suggestions for future episodes or topics? Send me an email: crystal @ moneysavingmom.com
* Check out HelloFresh: http://hellofresh.com
Advertising Inquiries: https://redcircle.com/brands