040: Automaticity Is a Weird WordShow Details41min 59s
039: Ben's Future at InVisionShow Details51min 54s
038: Holding Developers AccountableShow Details57min 54s
037: Brian Klaas Talks CloudShow Details1hr 17min
036: Blogs and Digital GardensShow Details58min 32s
035: Being a Swamp GuideShow Details47min 39s
034: Some of My Best Friends Are React Developers!Show Details44min 18s
033: Software PatentsShow Details42min 35s
032: What Comes After Senior Developer?Show Details49min 52s
031: To The Cloud! But Why?Show Details1hr 1min
030: Carol's Consult Catch-Up ConversationShow Details48min 34s
029: Potluck #2Show Details46min 8s
028: Buy vs. DIYShow Details47min 30s
027: Giving Technical PresentationsShow Details34min 15s
026: PasswordsShow Details59min 6s
025: Breaking Up With Your StackShow Details1hr 1min
024: The Archetype of an Effective DeveloperShow Details1hr 25min
023: Book Club #1 Clean Code by "Uncle Bob" Martin (pt2)Show Details1hr 6min
022: Book Club #1 Clean Code by "Uncle Bob" Martin (pt1)Show Details1hr 11min
021: Listener Questions #2Show Details1hr 21min
020: Carol Needs a ConsultShow Details58min 15s
019: MakefilesShow Details1hr 15min
018: Feature Flags (Finally!)Show Details1hr 25min
017: Premature OptimizationShow Details53min 47s
016: InterviewingShow Details1hr 16min
015: Potluck #1Show Details1hr 22min
014: Zen and the Art of Pull RequestsShow Details1hr 12min
013: Do What You Love And You'll Never Work A Day In Your LifeShow Details46min 51s
012: Idiomatic CodeShow Details42min 3s
011: Listener Questions #1Show Details1hr 10min
010: ScalingShow Details1hr 9min
009: TestingShow Details58min 13s
008: Origin Stories Pt 2Show Details1hr 11min
007: Origin Stories Pt 1Show Details58min 5s
006: Hopes for 2021Hide Details57min 13s
57min 13sPublished Jan 20, 2021 at 12:00pm
Oxford Dictionary included "doomscrolling" in their "word of the year" report for 2020; we're all feeling pandemic fatigue; many people still believe in wide-spread election fraud; the Georgia senate race was a nail-biter; and - oh yeah - we recorded this show the day after the storming of the United States capitol building.
It's all been more-than-a-bit surreal.
But, in the face of such physically and emotionally trying times, we look forward to a new year of possibility. Whether it's taking control of our finances, finding ways to be more active, building up our personal brand, or becoming the blacksmiths that we always knew we could be, the crew shares their personal and professional / technical goals for this burgeoning new year. As the Phoenix rose from the ashes, so too - we hope - 2021 will rise from the smoldering dumpster fire of 2020.
We'd also like to give a huge shout-out and thank you to Monte Chan for being our first Patreon supporter! You are a beautiful, beautiful person; and we hope to make you proud!
Triumphs & Fails
- Adam's Triumph - With 2020 just behind us, the Georgia Senate run-off keeping us on the edge of our seats, the insurrection, and plenty of "doomscrolling", he managed to kick off 2021 with a somewhat productive week. He's reminded of a quote from Cory Doctorow's latest book: "I'm not OK, but I'm going to be OK. I'm coping, but I have a lot to cope with."
- Ben's Triumph - Coming off the two-week "deployment freeze" at work, he managed to rebase, merge, and deploy the 20-something small git branches that he had amassed over the holiday. It took a few days, but everything went swimmingly!
- Carol's Triumph - She accidentally discovered her son (16yo) and his best friend listening to our podcast; and, they loved it! Woot woot! We are totes connecting with the youths!
- Tim's Triumph - In the aftermath of the insurrection and storming of the US capitol building, he managed to not curl up in a ball and rock back-and-forth in the corner. Given the context, this was a pretty momentous effort.
Notes & Links
- Cory Doctorow - science fiction author, activist and journalist.
- You Need a Budget - award-winning software that teaches you how to manage your money.
- Mark Drew - a rather amazing chap from the CFML and web programming world.
- Devil Forge - full-service metal melting and blacksmithing tools supply company.
- Max Cunningham - YouTube channel, blacksmith and forge enthusiasm.
- Forged in Fire - reality show featuring world-class bladesmiths re-creating historical edged weapons in a cutthroat competition.
- Alec Steele - blacksmith and YouTube star.
- Primitive Technology: Forge Blower - awesome YouTube video in which a guy "invents" the force blower using primitive tooling.
- AlumnIQ - world-class software for alumni and donor engagement.
- Brad Frost: Atomic Design - book about building design systems.
- Material Design - design system and general design platform by Google.
- Angular.js - modern application framework for building Single Page Applications (SPA) from Google.
- Storybook - an open source tool for developing UI components in isolation for React, Vue, Angular, and more.
- * Helios - design system used at InVision.
- Redis - an awesome open source, in-memory data structure store, used as a database, cache, and message broker.
- BitCoin - is an innovative payment network and a new kind of money.
- DogeCoin - an open source peer-to-peer digital currency, favored by Shiba Inus worldwide.
- Cryptocurrency - a digital asset designed to work as a medium of exchange.
- Blockchain - the world's most popular way to buy, hold, and use crypto currencies.
- A.I. - intelligence demonstrated by machines.
- AWS Machine Learning - a machine learning as a service platform.
- Machine Learning - the study of computer algorithms that improve automatically through experience.
- Boston Dynamics: Do You Love Me? - absolutely mind-blowing video of robots getting their groove on!
- Dependabot - automatic dependency and security updates in your GitHub repositories.
- Scala Play Framework - framework that makes it easy to build web applications with Java and Scala.
- Let's not be monsters - adorable toddler telling us to be better!
Follow the show! Our website is workingcode.dev and we're @WorkingCodePod on Twitter & Instagram. New episodes weekly on Wednesday.
And, if you're feeling the love, support us on Patreon.
005: Monolith vs. MicroservicesShow Details42min 44s
004: Impostor SyndromeShow Details1hr 18min
003: Burnout, Mental Exhaustion, and ProductivityShow Details1hr 4min
002: Working from homeShow Details54min 24s
001: Adam's Secret ShameShow Details1hr 8min
000: Hello, World!Show Details8min 4s