104: Alexa Make A Podcast About AIShow Details37min 57s
103: Birdsite Go BoomShow Details40min 48s
102: Upgrading MySQL For Poop EmojisShow Details1hr 10min
101: Error - Error Message Not Helpful!Show Details47min 36s
100: The Spicetacular!Show Details1hr 22min
099: Technical Debt Isn’t Always A Choice. Or Is It?Show Details58min 42s
098: In Defense Of Working On The Legacy PlatformShow Details48min 20s
097: Expectations Of Professional Software EngineersShow Details1hr 19min
096: Why Do You Write?Show Details58min 43s
095: Potluck #6 - Unpopular Opinions EditionShow Details1hr 3min
094: Disagree And CommitShow Details52min 18s
093: Sounds Easy! Sure Isn'tShow Details50min 58s
092: The Power of NoShow Details52min 24s
091: Side Project TherapyShow Details51min 41s
090: Passion Projects and Beer Money - Side HustlesShow Details1hr 4min
089: What Makes a Good Roadmap?Show Details1hr 2min
088: //todo: documentationShow Details58min 45s
087: Note To Self v0.2.0Show Details53min 1s
086: The Working Code TestShow Details1hr 21min
085: Shipping ComplexityShow Details1hr 1min
084: The Architectural Support Team with Jason HenriksenShow Details48min 56s
083: Alternate TimelinesShow Details39min 46s
082: GitHub Copilot - Is It Worth It?Show Details54min 37s
081: Total RandosShow Details47min 8s
080: Other Duties As AssignedShow Details48min 20s
079: Potluck #5Show Details59min 47s
078: UX - Pushing Users Into The Pit of SuccessShow Details59min 29s
077: Mid-Manager BluesShow Details44min 6s
076: Ben Needs A MinuteShow Details57min 39s
075: What Problem Does This Solve?Show Details49min 27s
074: What's On Your Workbench?Show Details58min 19s
073: Our Golden ParachuteShow Details37min 2s
072: Too Many HatsShow Details57min 31s
071: Potluck #4Show Details1hr
070: Self ReflectionsShow Details44min
069: Now I'm Catching EventsShow Details38min 27s
068: Hire Women, Inspire WomenShow Details1hr
067: We Have Feelings On LoggingShow Details38min 41s
066: Make Meetings Suck LessShow Details46min 58s
065: TDD In the Trenches with Scott StrozShow Details41min 47s
064: Should I Stay Or Should I Go?Show Details40min 9s
063: Nobody Makes It Out Alive!Show Details33min 20s
062: Note To SelfShow Details1hr 8min
061: Software Is For PeopleShow Details51min 11s
060: Technical DebtShow Details1hr
059: Everything Old Is New AgainShow Details54min 45s
058: Do 10x Developers Exist?Show Details53min 27s
057: Goals for 2022Show Details54min 40s
056: Best of 2021Show Details1hr 8min
055: Sales FailsShow Details50min 25s
054: We're So QuackedShow Details41min 41s
053: Product Management with Adam LehmanShow Details39min 18s
052: Starting Your Own Business, with Steve RittlerShow Details1hr 15min
051: You Are ReplaceableShow Details36min 31s
050: Where Do You See Yourself in 5 Years?Show Details52min 49s
049: Revisiting Replatforming - There Is No Correct AnswerShow Details49min 31s
048: // TODO: Microwave ToDo ListShow Details56min 17s
047: Email Ruins EverythingShow Details56min 2s
046: Secrets Management vs. Premature OptimizationShow Details44min 15s
045B: The AftershowShow Details24min 43s
045: Join Our DiscordShow Details10min 57s
044: Facebook's No Good Very Bad WeekShow Details55min 5s
043: Relay Race ProgrammingShow Details50min 8s
042: Potluck #3Show Details51min 53s
040: Automaticity Is a Weird WordShow Details41min 59s
039: Ben's Future at InVisionShow Details51min 54s
038: Holding Developers AccountableShow Details57min 54s
037: Brian Klaas Talks CloudShow Details1hr 17min
036: Blogs and Digital GardensShow Details58min 32s
035: Being a Swamp GuideShow Details47min 39s
034: Some of My Best Friends Are React Developers!Show Details44min 18s
033: Software PatentsShow Details42min 35s
032: What Comes After Senior Developer?Show Details49min 52s
031: To The Cloud! But Why?Show Details1hr 1min
030: Carol's Consult Catch-Up ConversationShow Details48min 34s
029: Potluck #2Show Details46min 8s
028: Buy vs. DIYShow Details47min 30s
027: Giving Technical PresentationsShow Details34min 15s
026: PasswordsShow Details59min 6s
025: Breaking Up With Your StackShow Details1hr 1min
024: The Archetype of an Effective DeveloperShow Details1hr 25min
023: Book Club #1 Clean Code by "Uncle Bob" Martin (pt2)Show Details1hr 6min
022: Book Club #1 Clean Code by "Uncle Bob" Martin (pt1)Show Details1hr 11min
021: Listener Questions #2Show Details1hr 21min
020: Carol Needs a ConsultShow Details58min 15s
019: MakefilesShow Details1hr 15min
018: Feature Flags (Finally!)Show Details1hr 25min
017: Premature OptimizationShow Details53min 47s
016: InterviewingShow Details1hr 16min
015: Potluck #1Show Details1hr 22min
014: Zen and the Art of Pull RequestsShow Details1hr 12min
013: Do What You Love And You'll Never Work A Day In Your LifeShow Details46min 51s
012: Idiomatic CodeShow Details42min 3s
011: Listener Questions #1Show Details1hr 10min
010: ScalingShow Details1hr 9min
009: TestingShow Details58min 13s
008: Origin Stories Pt 2Show Details1hr 11min
007: Origin Stories Pt 1Show Details58min 5s
006: Hopes for 2021Hide Details57min 13s
57min 13sPublished Jan 20, 2021 at 12:00pm
Oxford Dictionary included "doomscrolling" in their "word of the year" report for 2020; we're all feeling pandemic fatigue; many people still believe in wide-spread election fraud; the Georgia senate race was a nail-biter; and - oh yeah - we recorded this show the day after the storming of the United States capitol building.
It's all been more-than-a-bit surreal.
But, in the face of such physically and emotionally trying times, we look forward to a new year of possibility. Whether it's taking control of our finances, finding ways to be more active, building up our personal brand, or becoming the blacksmiths that we always knew we could be, the crew shares their personal and professional / technical goals for this burgeoning new year. As the Phoenix rose from the ashes, so too - we hope - 2021 will rise from the smoldering dumpster fire of 2020.
We'd also like to give a huge shout-out and thank you to Monte Chan for being our first Patreon supporter! You are a beautiful, beautiful person; and we hope to make you proud!
Triumphs & Fails
- Adam's Triumph - With 2020 just behind us, the Georgia Senate run-off keeping us on the edge of our seats, the insurrection, and plenty of "doomscrolling", he managed to kick off 2021 with a somewhat productive week. He's reminded of a quote from Cory Doctorow's latest book: "I'm not OK, but I'm going to be OK. I'm coping, but I have a lot to cope with."
- Ben's Triumph - Coming off the two-week "deployment freeze" at work, he managed to rebase, merge, and deploy the 20-something small git branches that he had amassed over the holiday. It took a few days, but everything went swimmingly!
- Carol's Triumph - She accidentally discovered her son (16yo) and his best friend listening to our podcast; and, they loved it! Woot woot! We are totes connecting with the youths!
- Tim's Triumph - In the aftermath of the insurrection and storming of the US capitol building, he managed to not curl up in a ball and rock back-and-forth in the corner. Given the context, this was a pretty momentous effort.
Notes & Links
- Cory Doctorow - science fiction author, activist and journalist.
- You Need a Budget - award-winning software that teaches you how to manage your money.
- Mark Drew - a rather amazing chap from the CFML and web programming world.
- Devil Forge - full-service metal melting and blacksmithing tools supply company.
- Max Cunningham - YouTube channel, blacksmith and forge enthusiasm.
- Forged in Fire - reality show featuring world-class bladesmiths re-creating historical edged weapons in a cutthroat competition.
- Alec Steele - blacksmith and YouTube star.
- Primitive Technology: Forge Blower - awesome YouTube video in which a guy "invents" the force blower using primitive tooling.
- AlumnIQ - world-class software for alumni and donor engagement.
- Brad Frost: Atomic Design - book about building design systems.
- Material Design - design system and general design platform by Google.
- Angular.js - modern application framework for building Single Page Applications (SPA) from Google.
- Storybook - an open source tool for developing UI components in isolation for React, Vue, Angular, and more.
- * Helios - design system used at InVision.
- Redis - an awesome open source, in-memory data structure store, used as a database, cache, and message broker.
- BitCoin - is an innovative payment network and a new kind of money.
- DogeCoin - an open source peer-to-peer digital currency, favored by Shiba Inus worldwide.
- Cryptocurrency - a digital asset designed to work as a medium of exchange.
- Blockchain - the world's most popular way to buy, hold, and use crypto currencies.
- A.I. - intelligence demonstrated by machines.
- AWS Machine Learning - a machine learning as a service platform.
- Machine Learning - the study of computer algorithms that improve automatically through experience.
- Boston Dynamics: Do You Love Me? - absolutely mind-blowing video of robots getting their groove on!
- Dependabot - automatic dependency and security updates in your GitHub repositories.
- Scala Play Framework - framework that makes it easy to build web applications with Java and Scala.
- Let's not be monsters - adorable toddler telling us to be better!
Follow the show! Our website is workingcode.dev and we're @WorkingCodePod on Twitter & Instagram. New episodes weekly on Wednesday.
And, if you're feeling the love, support us on Patreon.
005: Monolith vs. MicroservicesShow Details42min 44s
004: Impostor SyndromeShow Details1hr 18min
003: Burnout, Mental Exhaustion, and ProductivityShow Details1hr 4min
002: Working from homeShow Details54min 24s
001: Adam's Secret ShameShow Details1hr 8min
000: Hello, World!Show Details8min 4s