102: Upgrading MySQL For Poop EmojisShow Details1hr 10min
101: Error - Error Message Not Helpful!Show Details47min 36s
100: The Spicetacular!Show Details1hr 22min
099: Technical Debt Isn’t Always A Choice. Or Is It?Show Details58min 42s
098: In Defense Of Working On The Legacy PlatformShow Details48min 20s
097: Expectations Of Professional Software EngineersShow Details1hr 19min
096: Why Do You Write?Show Details58min 43s
095: Potluck #6 - Unpopular Opinions EditionShow Details1hr 3min
094: Disagree And CommitShow Details52min 18s
093: Sounds Easy! Sure Isn'tShow Details50min 58s
092: The Power of NoShow Details52min 24s
091: Side Project TherapyShow Details51min 41s
090: Passion Projects and Beer Money - Side HustlesShow Details1hr 4min
089: What Makes a Good Roadmap?Show Details1hr 2min
088: //todo: documentationShow Details58min 45s
087: Note To Self v0.2.0Show Details53min 1s
086: The Working Code TestShow Details1hr 21min
085: Shipping ComplexityShow Details1hr 1min
084: The Architectural Support Team with Jason HenriksenShow Details48min 56s
083: Alternate TimelinesShow Details39min 46s
082: GitHub Copilot - Is It Worth It?Show Details54min 37s
081: Total RandosShow Details47min 8s
080: Other Duties As AssignedShow Details48min 20s
079: Potluck #5Show Details59min 47s
078: UX - Pushing Users Into The Pit of SuccessShow Details59min 29s
077: Mid-Manager BluesShow Details44min 6s
076: Ben Needs A MinuteShow Details57min 39s
075: What Problem Does This Solve?Show Details49min 27s
074: What's On Your Workbench?Show Details58min 19s
073: Our Golden ParachuteShow Details37min 2s
072: Too Many HatsShow Details57min 31s
071: Potluck #4Show Details1hr
070: Self ReflectionsShow Details44min
069: Now I'm Catching EventsShow Details38min 27s
068: Hire Women, Inspire WomenShow Details1hr
067: We Have Feelings On LoggingShow Details38min 41s
066: Make Meetings Suck LessShow Details46min 58s
065: TDD In the Trenches with Scott StrozShow Details41min 47s
064: Should I Stay Or Should I Go?Show Details40min 9s
063: Nobody Makes It Out Alive!Show Details33min 20s
062: Note To SelfShow Details1hr 8min
061: Software Is For PeopleShow Details51min 11s
060: Technical DebtShow Details1hr
059: Everything Old Is New AgainShow Details54min 45s
058: Do 10x Developers Exist?Show Details53min 27s
057: Goals for 2022Show Details54min 40s
056: Best of 2021Show Details1hr 8min
055: Sales FailsShow Details50min 25s
054: We're So QuackedShow Details41min 41s
053: Product Management with Adam LehmanShow Details39min 18s
052: Starting Your Own Business, with Steve RittlerShow Details1hr 15min
051: You Are ReplaceableShow Details36min 31s
050: Where Do You See Yourself in 5 Years?Show Details52min 49s
049: Revisiting Replatforming - There Is No Correct AnswerShow Details49min 31s
048: // TODO: Microwave ToDo ListShow Details56min 17s
047: Email Ruins EverythingShow Details56min 2s
046: Secrets Management vs. Premature OptimizationShow Details44min 15s
045B: The AftershowShow Details24min 43s
045: Join Our DiscordShow Details10min 57s
044: Facebook's No Good Very Bad WeekShow Details55min 5s
043: Relay Race ProgrammingShow Details50min 8s
042: Potluck #3Show Details51min 53s
040: Automaticity Is a Weird WordShow Details41min 59s
039: Ben's Future at InVisionShow Details51min 54s
038: Holding Developers AccountableShow Details57min 54s
037: Brian Klaas Talks CloudShow Details1hr 17min
036: Blogs and Digital GardensShow Details58min 32s
035: Being a Swamp GuideShow Details47min 39s
034: Some of My Best Friends Are React Developers!Show Details44min 18s
033: Software PatentsShow Details42min 35s
032: What Comes After Senior Developer?Show Details49min 52s
031: To The Cloud! But Why?Show Details1hr 1min
030: Carol's Consult Catch-Up ConversationShow Details48min 34s
029: Potluck #2Show Details46min 8s
028: Buy vs. DIYShow Details47min 30s
027: Giving Technical PresentationsShow Details34min 15s
026: PasswordsShow Details59min 6s
025: Breaking Up With Your StackShow Details1hr 1min
024: The Archetype of an Effective DeveloperShow Details1hr 25min
023: Book Club #1 Clean Code by "Uncle Bob" Martin (pt2)Show Details1hr 6min
022: Book Club #1 Clean Code by "Uncle Bob" Martin (pt1)Show Details1hr 11min
021: Listener Questions #2Show Details1hr 21min
020: Carol Needs a ConsultShow Details58min 15s
019: MakefilesShow Details1hr 15min
018: Feature Flags (Finally!)Show Details1hr 25min
017: Premature OptimizationShow Details53min 47s
016: InterviewingShow Details1hr 16min
015: Potluck #1Show Details1hr 22min
014: Zen and the Art of Pull RequestsShow Details1hr 12min
013: Do What You Love And You'll Never Work A Day In Your LifeShow Details46min 51s
012: Idiomatic CodeShow Details42min 3s
011: Listener Questions #1Show Details1hr 10min
010: ScalingShow Details1hr 9min
009: TestingShow Details58min 13s
008: Origin Stories Pt 2Show Details1hr 11min
007: Origin Stories Pt 1Hide Details58min 5s
58min 5sPublished Jan 27, 2021 at 12:00pm
All super heroes have an origin story. And, so do nerds. Many of us can remember back to that moment when we realized that there was magic in the world - magic that we could be part of; and, magic that we could help create. This week, we get personal with the crew and learn more about where they came from, what kind of stuff makes them tick, and what it is that they love about being web application developers.
This Part 1 of a two-part series. Part 1 includes Tim and Ben. Part 2 will include Carol and Adam.
Triumphs & Fails
- Adam's Triumph - He moved mountains of data using "pivot tables" in Google Sheets in order to build summaries of his newly-rolled-out test coverage at work! He's a hair's breadth away from fully converting his codebase over to an open-source platform.
- Carol's Triumph / Failure - She just passed the 4-month mark at her new job, like a boss! But, she been a little bit down in the mouth, concerned that she's not getting enough done and that she's not learning enough. She managed to turn the week around, however, getting some productive "Design Buddy" work (think "pair programming" for the planning phase) done.
- Tim's Triumph - He checked his old Coinbase account from 2015 and the $15 he left in there is now worth $85. He's about to wine and dine himself!
Notes & Links
- :target - CSS selector that matches elements whose id matches the URL fragment.
- Coinbase - a place to buy, sell, and manage your cryptocurrency portfolio.
- Lost Passwords Lock Millionaires Out of Their Bitcoin Fortunes - New York Times article about a millionaire who has two more chances to remember his password for quarter-billion in Bitcoin.
- Google Sheets: Pivot tables - creating and using pivot tables in Google Sheets.
- Aqua Data Studio - a versatile database IDE with data management and visual analytics for relational, cloud, and NoSQL databases.
- ELIZA - an early natural language processing computer program.
- Zork - one of the earliest interactive fiction computer games.
- Kaypro - a computer manufacturer from the 1980s known for their line of rugged, "luggable" computers.
- dBase - one of the first database management systems for microcomputers.
- CP/M - an early operating system.
- Ultima Online - one of the first MMO (Massively Multi-player Online) games.
- Adobe ColdFusion - a modern web development language.
- Lucee CFML - the leading open-source CFML application server / engine - it's so good you might just freak out!
- Sierra Entertainment - game company famous for King's Quest, Space Quest, and Leisure Suit Larry.
- Hackers - one of the best movies in the computer / hacker genre - Hack the planet!
- X-Files - 1990s tv drama about the FBI's paranormal phenomena research - the truth is out there!
- QBasic - an early programming language and interpreter.
- TI-82 - a programmable calculator.
Follow the show! Our website is workingcode.dev and we're @WorkingCodePod on Twitter and Instagram. New episodes weekly on Wednesday.
And, if you're feeling the love, support us on Patreon.
Your heart matters.
006: Hopes for 2021Show Details57min 13s
005: Monolith vs. MicroservicesShow Details42min 44s
004: Impostor SyndromeShow Details1hr 18min
003: Burnout, Mental Exhaustion, and ProductivityShow Details1hr 4min
002: Working from homeShow Details54min 24s
001: Adam's Secret ShameShow Details1hr 8min
000: Hello, World!Show Details8min 4s