Beetlejuice 2, Writers Strike, and Star Wars32m | May 10, 2023
On the May 10, 2023 episode of /Film Daily, /Film editorial director Peter Sciretta is joined by /Film writer Ryan Scott to discuss the latest film and tv news, including Beetlejuice 2, Writers Strike, and the future of Star Wars
In The News:
- Writers Strike and Showrunners:
- Andor Showrunner Tony Gilroy Pauses All Work Amid WGA Strike, Lucasfilm Yet To Comment
- HBO Suspends The Wire Creator David Simon's Deal After 25 Years
- Beetlejuice 2 gets a release date
Mid-Roll Sponsor break: “we’re going to take a quick break, and we’ll be right back”
- Why Rian Johnson And Taika Waititi's Star Wars Movies Are Taking So Long, According To Kathleen Kennedy
- Kevin Feige's Star Wars Movie Could've Involved The Russo Brothers
- Dave Filoni Sees Thrawn As The 'Big Bad' Of Star Wars' New Republic Era
- “The way I look at it, there are [small] stories, and then there’s the big story of the day, too. A New Hope, Empire and Return Of The Jedi tell the important parts of the tale that really define the history of the period. There are all kinds of sub-stories underneath that. We’ve been building all these small stories. To me, a theatrical experience has to have a big idea — a monumental moment in the time period that changes what’s happening. What Tony [Gilroy] has done [in Andor] and what we did in Rebels, everything then changes when Luke blows up the Death Star. You’re looking for those moments that define an era, and that’s what the films really should be about — whether it’s characters coming together, or a defining moment. There are little things along the way that I’ve built across different mediums, all in preparation for things that come later.”
- When asked if Thrawn is the "big bad of this New Republic era," Filoni answered without hesitation, "Definitely, in my eyes." He added: "Thrawn became this very iconic villain, because he was different than anything we'd seen before. He wasn't another helmet-wearing, lightsaber-wielding bad guy."
All the other stuff you need to know:
- This episode is brought to you by BetterHelp. Give online therapy a try at betterhelp.com/FILMDAILY and get on your way to being your best self.
- You can find more about all the stories we mentioned on today’s show at slashfilm.com, and linked inside the show notes.
- /Film Daily is published every weekday, bringing you the most exciting news from the world of movies and television as well as deeper dives into the great features from slashfilm.com.
- You can subscribe to /Film Daily on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Overcast, Spotify and all the popular podcast apps (RSS).
- And please subscribe to our newsletter!
- Send your feedback, questions, comments and concerns to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please leave your name and general geographic location in case we mention the e-mail on the air.
- Please rate and review the podcast on Apple Podcasts, tell your friends and spread the word!
- Thanks to Sam Hume for our logo.
Advertising Inquiries: https://redcircle.com/brands
Privacy & Opt-Out: https://redcircle.com/privacy
The /Film Show