In 2051 Virtual Gravity in Space40m | Nov 19, 2023
Leia, a war-weary veteran, grapples with the challenges of adapting to civilian life in a future Atlanta where automation has reshaped society. As Leia navigates the complexities of her family dynamics and civilian routine, the narrative unfolds against the canvas of a society marked by political tensions and the ever-present influence of advanced technology, where even personal interactions are mediated by augmented reality.
Leia's journey takes an unexpected turn when she learns of a unique job opportunity that beckons her to the vastness of space. As she contemplates this new chapter, political unrest on Earth adds a layer of suspense, culminating in a shocking twist that alters the course of Leia's life.
- Augmented Reality (AR) Glasses: Leia's civilian life is marked by the use of lightweight AR glasses, equipped with encrypted stream cameras for recording, and an Assistant AI that offers assistance and suggestions.
- Lutin Bots: Automated bots play a role in Leia's daily life, performing tasks like making omelets and biscuits. Premium skills, such as massage capabilities, can be added to these bots.
- Canal Link: A futuristic communication device that Leia uses, capable of providing an ads-free link, and undergoing regular updates for various features.
- Drone Blimps: Police employ drone blimps equipped with specialized AIs to locate potential threats, particularly mass shooters, during public demonstrations.
- Space Mining Company Opportunities: The narrative introduces the concept of space mining companies seeking technicians willing to live and work in space, reflecting advancements in extraterrestrial resource exploration.
- Superconductive Solar Arrays: The research and manufacturing space station in Earth's orbit features enormous superconductive solar arrays, harnessing near-zero gravity and temperature for advanced technological developments.
- 3D-Printed Organs: In the narrative, organ transplants are 3D printed in space, using cells from the recipients, eliminating the need for immunosuppressants.
- Quantum Engines: A research group on the space station develops quantum engines for deep space travel, running in very low temperatures to power ships far from sunlight.
- Bio-Bots and Protein Transistors: Medical procedures involve bio-bots growing protein transistors next to nerves in the inner ear regions to mitigate space adaptation syndrome, providing a form of artificial gravity in virtual reality experiences.
- Phages for Disinfection: The space station employs phages for disinfection, replacing air with microbes that seek out and neutralize harmful agents, creating a forest-like environment.
- Voting via Canal Link: The story features a futuristic voting system where individuals receive encrypted ballots in their AR, allowing them to pre-vote using their Canal Links.
Many of the characters in this project appear in future episodes.
Using storytelling to place you in a time period, this series takes you, year by year, into the future. From 2040 to 2195. If you like emerging tech, eco-tech,
futurism, perma-culture, apocalyptic survival scenarios, and disruptive
science, sit back and enjoy short stories that showcase my research into how
the future may play out.
Episode 45 of the podcast "In 20xx Scifi and Futurism." The companion
site is https://in20xx.com where you can find
a timeline of the future, descriptions of future development, and printed
works of fiction. Characters and groups are made-up and influenced by current
events but not reporting facts about people or groups in the real world.
© Leon Horn 2021. All rights reserved.