Ep. #436: December 13-18, 19975h 36m | Dec 18, 2023
Kris and David are guestless as we discuss the (almost-)week that was December 13-18, 1997. Topics of discussion include:
- Fans going completely insane and rioting at WWF house shows in Memphis and Little Rock plus at the live WCW Monday Nitro in Charlotte with far too many fans hitting the ring.
- Vince McMahon's "Cure for the Common Show" speech on Raw that sort of “officially” kicked off the “Attitude Era.”
- “Stone Cold” Steve Austin throwing the Intercontinental Title belt off a bridge as part of his initial feud with The Rock
- The Ken Shamrock vs. Nobuhiko Takada fight that was booked for UFC Ultimate Japan falling apart…if it was ever going to happen in the first place.
- Tokyo Sports announcing the winners of their 1997 awards, which were as political as ever.
- The Brennan Brothers drawing a big house for AAA in Mexico.
- The future of Stevie Richards' career being in serious doubt due to his neck issues.
- An update on the USWA lawsuits with XL Sports suing everyone else.
- WCW wrestlers brawl with fans at a Buffalo Airport Marriott, which led to Rick Rude getting arrested.
- A wild and crazy Monday Nitro featuring the debut of Bret Hart, Curt Hennig being in no condition to perform, a complete mess of a show-lcosing angle, and the famously great Rey Misterio Jr. & Juventud Guerrera vs. Psicosis & La Parka match.
All this and much more on a show you can't miss!!!!
2:17:49 Classic Commercial Break
2:53:10 Int’l: UFC, Tokyo Sports Awards, NJPW, CMLL Japan, Michinoku Pro, Kingdom, Arsion, AAA, & Monterrey
3:37:37 Other USA: AWC, NWANJ, UCW (NJ), ECW. ICP/NSWA, Music City, & USWA lawsuit
5:23:33 Patreon Preview: The Arizona Republic profiles the Ultimate Warrior
To support the show and get access to exclusive rewards like special members-only monthly themed shows, go to our Patreon page at Patreon.com/BetweenTheSheets and become an ongoing Patron. Becoming a Between the Sheets Patron will also get you exclusive access to not only the monthly themed episode of Between the Sheets, but also access to our new mailbag segment, a Patron-only chat room on Slack, and anything else we do outside of the main shows!
If you’re looking for the best deal on a VPN service—short for Virtual Private Network, it helps you get around regional restrictions as well as browse the internet more securely—then Private Internet Access is what you’ve been looking for. Not only will using our link help support Between The Sheets, but you’ll get a special discount, with prices as low as $1.98/month if you go with a 40 month subscription. With numerous great features and even a TV-specific Android app to make streaming easier, there is no better choice if you’re looking to subscribe to WWE Network, AEW Plus, and other region-locked services.
For the best in both current and classic indie wrestling streaming, make sure to check out IndependentWrestling.tv and use coupon code BTSPOD for a free 5 day trial! (You can also go directly to TinyURL.com/IWTVsheets to sign up that way.) If you convert to a paid subscriber, we get a kickback for referring you, allowing you to support both the show and the indie scene.
And if you'd like to support us while checking out the various promotions available on FITE TV, including their FITE+ subscription service, like BKFC, GCW, our friends at AIW and Black Label Pro, and more, you can sign up at TinyURL.com/BTSFITE.
To subscribe, you can find us on iTunes, Google Play, and just about every other podcast app's directory, or you can also paste Feeds.FeedBurner.com/BTSheets into your favorite podcast app using whatever “add feed manually” option it has.
Support this podcast at — https://redcircle.com/between-the-sheets/donations
Advertising Inquiries: https://redcircle.com/brands