Ep. #443: January 31-February 6, 19885h 26m | Feb 5, 2024
Kris and David are guestless as we discuss the week that was January 31-February 6, 1988. Topics of discussion include:
- The Main Event airing live in prime time on NBC featuring Hulk Hogan vs. Andre the Giant for the WWF Championship and DOUBLE DAVE HEBNERS! We also talk about the Nielsen ratings for the show, Honky Tonk Man refusing to do a clean job to Randy Savage, and much much more from this history-making TV special.
- Ted DiBiase showing up in Boston and Philly the next day wearing the WWF Championship belt and how that was received.
- New Japan on tour featuring Buzz Sawyer and Owen Hart, and how they were being received.
- Scott McGhee suffering a stroke that ends his career.
- Dave Meltzer's rundown of the Lucha Libre scene in 1988.
- Jerry Blackwell's Southern Championship Wrestling doing some great things in Georgia, plus a look into their feud with Deep South.
- Ron Fuller makes a big announcement about the future of wrestling in Knoxville.
- Brother Ernest Angel comes to Memphis.
- The AWA having issues drawing in the Twin Cities.
- The Road Warriors/Powers of Pain bench press contest angle where Animal broke his orbital bone.
- And RIC FLAIR NIGHT in Raleigh, North Carolina on NWA Worldwide Wrestling, which started the build to Sting’s title shot at the first Clash of the Champions.
We always love the 80's shows and this one is no different, so LISTEN NOW!!!
1:32:00 Int’l: NJPW, Stampede, Tim Flowers, Mexico, & WWC
1:54:05 Classic Commercial Break
1:57;53 Halftime (contains discussion of the Vince McMahon sex trafficking allegations, albeit mostly in broad strokes)
2:46:10 Other USA: Canarsie High School, Georgia (SCW-Deep South war), Global (FL), Continental, CWA/Memphis, WCCW, Central States/WWA, AWA, Chavo Guererro, Alexis Smirnoff, & Portland
4:12:29 Jim Crockett Promotions
To support the show and get access to exclusive rewards like special members-only monthly themed shows, go to our Patreon page at Patreon.com/BetweenTheSheets and become an ongoing Patron. Becoming a Between the Sheets Patron will also get you exclusive access to not only the monthly themed episode of Between the Sheets, but also access to our new mailbag segment, a Patron-only chat room on Slack, and anything else we do outside of the main shows!
If you’re looking for the best deal on a VPN service—short for Virtual Private Network, it helps you get around regional restrictions as well as browse the internet more securely—then Private Internet Access is what you’ve been looking for. Not only will using our link help support Between The Sheets, but you’ll get a special discount, with prices as low as $1.98/month if you go with a 40 month subscription. With numerous great features and even a TV-specific Android app to make streaming easier, there is no better choice if you’re looking to subscribe to WWE Network, AEW Plus, and other region-locked services.
For the best in both current and classic indie wrestling streaming, make sure to check out IndependentWrestling.tv and use coupon code BTSPOD for a free 5 day trial! (You can also go directly to TinyURL.com/IWTVsheets to sign up that way.) If you convert to a paid subscriber, we get a kickback for referring you, allowing you to support both the show and the indie scene.
And if you'd like to support us while checking out the various promotions available on FITE TV, including their FITE+ subscription service, like BKFC, GCW, our friends at AIW and Black Label Pro, and more, you can sign up at TinyURL.com/BTSFITE.
To subscribe, you can find us on iTunes, Google Play, and just about every other podcast app's directory, or you can also paste Feeds.FeedBurner.com/BTSheets into your favorite podcast app using whatever “add feed manually” option it has.
Support this podcast at — https://redcircle.com/between-the-sheets/donations
Advertising Inquiries: https://redcircle.com/brands