Ep. #418: August 9-16, 19936h 48m | Aug 14, 2023
Kris and David are joined by Chad Campbell (@bigboysplaywcw) to discuss the week-plus that was August 9-16, 1993. Topics of discussion include:
- The WWF's burgeoning relationships with SMW and the USWA, the Torch surveyed fans and people in the business for their opinion of how this arrangement will turn out.
- Two episodes of Monday Night Raw, which are highlighted by the “Who is Lex Luger?” sit-down interview segments, which are extremely interesting to listen to 30 years later.
- The skepticism regarding Lex Luger and his new character and is he was genuine enough to pull it off or not.
- Super Vader terrorizing UWFi during a week with a lot of indie shows at Korakuen Hall.
- Eddie Guerrero and Love Machine team up for the first time in AAA.
- Dave Meltzer at SMW Fan Week and his thoughts on where SMW is compared to his last trip the prior November, plus full reports of the shows he went to during our week as well as lots of great audio from TV.
- The WWF vs. USWA feud going full force in Memphis as we have heel Bret and Owen Hart going off on in Memphis in preparation for the MOTHER OF ALL MATCHES.
- The sheer insanity of WCW at the time, as they are a complete mess both in and out of the ring especially trying to promote shows in Atlanta.
It’s always fun having Chad on, and this was a damn good show, so take a listen!!!
0:00:00 Torch survey on WWF working agreements
2:12:07 Int’l: AJPW, FMW, Michinoku Pro, NOW, Oriental Pro, Universal, UWFi, AJW, JWP, CWA, AAA, CMLL, & UWA
2:43:26 Classic Commercial Break
5:11:08 Other USA: NEWF, Can-Am, ECW, USWA, Big D, GWF, & Portland
To support the show and get access to exclusive rewards like special members-only monthly themed shows, go to our Patreon page at Patreon.com/BetweenTheSheets and become an ongoing Patron. Becoming a Between the Sheets Patron will also get you exclusive access to not only the monthly themed episode of Between the Sheets, but also access to our new mailbag segment, a Patron-only chat room on Slack, and anything else we do outside of the main shows!
If you’re looking for the best deal on a VPN service—short for Virtual Private Network, it helps you get around regional restrictions as well as browse the internet more securely—then Private Internet Access is what you’ve been looking for. Not only will using our link help support Between The Sheets, but you’ll get a special discount, with prices as low as $1.98/month if you go with a 40 month subscription. With numerous great features and even a TV-specific Android app to make streaming easier, there is no better choice if you’re looking to subscribe to WWE Network, AEW Plus, and other region-locked services.
For the best in both current and classic indie wrestling streaming, make sure to check out IndependentWrestling.tv and use coupon code BTSPOD for a free 5 day trial! (You can also go directly to TinyURL.com/IWTVsheets to sign up that way.) If you convert to a paid subscriber, we get a kickback for referring you, allowing you to support both the show and the indie scene.
And if you'd like to support us while checking out the various promotions available on FITE TV, including their FITE+ subscription service, like BKFC, GCW, our friends at AIW and Black Label Pro, and more, you can sign up at TinyURL.com/BTSFITE.
To subscribe, you can find us on iTunes, Google Play, and just about every other podcast app's directory, or you can also paste Feeds.FeedBurner.com/BTSheets into your favorite podcast app using whatever “add feed manually” option it has.
Support this podcast at — https://redcircle.com/between-the-sheets/donations
Advertising Inquiries: https://redcircle.com/brands