Ep. #441: January 17-23, 1993 with John McAdam5h 44m | Jan 22, 2024
Kris and David are joined by John McAdam (@CCMilani) to discuss the week that was January 17-23, 1993. Topics of discussion include:
- Ric Flair's exit from the WWF featuring the buildup to his loser leaves the WWF match with Mr. Perfect.
- The surprisingly big backlash to the Doink the Clown/Crush angle which was the focus of a scathing blurb by Bob Raissman in his column in the New York Daily News.
- Just how fun the early days of Monday Night Raw were.
- AAA running their first supershow in Mexico City to much success.
- A big wrestling convention in Philadelphia featuring the Battle of the Belts show that was co-promoted by Tod Gordon and Dennis Coralluzzo and featured the final videotaped match of Kerry Von Erich's career.
- Jim Cornette talking to the Torch about the SMW/WCW situation plus SMW has a great TV taping as their 1993 ramps up in a big way.
- Some clips from Austin Idol’s short lived USA Wrestling promotion in Alabama.
- Honky Tonk Man causeing a ruckus at the WMC Studios in Memphis.
- Davey Boy Smith being on his way to WCW.
- The greatness of the Big Van Vader/Sting feud.
- The Rock ’n’ Roll Express return to WCW TV via SMW footage.
- Paul E. Dangerously speaking out about his WCW firing on Wade Keller's radio show.
All of that plus so much more on a very entertaining episode of Between the Sheets!
1:03:24 Int’l: AJPW, FMW, Indie Summit, Universal, PWFG, RINGS, AAA, CMLL, Monterrey, UWA, AWF, & WWC
1:36:25 Classic Commercial Break
2:12:27 Other USA: Legends of Wrestling convention/ECW vs. WWA Battle of the Belts, SMW, USA Wrestling, USWA, Big D, GWF, MesquiteCW, USWF, UWF (Abrams), & CWUSA
5:27:35 Patreon Preview: Kerry Von Erich talks to John Clark about going to rehab at the Betty Ford Clinic
To support the show and get access to exclusive rewards like special members-only monthly themed shows, go to our Patreon page at Patreon.com/BetweenTheSheets and become an ongoing Patron. Becoming a Between the Sheets Patron will also get you exclusive access to not only the monthly themed episode of Between the Sheets, but also access to our new mailbag segment, a Patron-only chat room on Slack, and anything else we do outside of the main shows!
If you’re looking for the best deal on a VPN service—short for Virtual Private Network, it helps you get around regional restrictions as well as browse the internet more securely—then Private Internet Access is what you’ve been looking for. Not only will using our link help support Between The Sheets, but you’ll get a special discount, with prices as low as $1.98/month if you go with a 40 month subscription. With numerous great features and even a TV-specific Android app to make streaming easier, there is no better choice if you’re looking to subscribe to WWE Network, AEW Plus, and other region-locked services.
For the best in both current and classic indie wrestling streaming, make sure to check out IndependentWrestling.tv and use coupon code BTSPOD for a free 5 day trial! (You can also go directly to TinyURL.com/IWTVsheets to sign up that way.) If you convert to a paid subscriber, we get a kickback for referring you, allowing you to support both the show and the indie scene.
And if you'd like to support us while checking out the various promotions available on FITE TV, including their FITE+ subscription service, like BKFC, GCW, our friends at AIW and Black Label Pro, and more, you can sign up at TinyURL.com/BTSFITE.
To subscribe, you can find us on iTunes, Google Play, and just about every other podcast app's directory, or you can also paste Feeds.FeedBurner.com/BTSheets into your favorite podcast app using whatever “add feed manually” option it has.
Support this podcast at — https://redcircle.com/between-the-sheets/donations
Advertising Inquiries: https://redcircle.com/brands