Patreon Flashback — Ep. #69: Titangate Part 34h 12m | Jan 28, 2024
Since we want everyone to be able to learn from our Patreon series on the 1992 "Titangate" sex and drug scandals in WWE, want to be able to direct everyone to the shows, and don't want to give anyone the idea that we're trying to make money off of the awful new lawsuit against WWE, we're releasing all four Titangate shows for free. Permanently. We're really proud of the work we did on these, and we hope that everyone can learn from them.
Content warning: By necessity of covering this topic, though it is not the sole focus, this episode contains discussion of sexual harassment, sexual assault, and child sexual abuse. If you have any concerns that this content may be triggering or otherwise upsetting to you, then skipping this episode may be advisable.
It’s June , and you know what that means: Time for a new Patreon-exclusive deep dive. This time, it’s part 3 of a series on what became known as Titangate, the overarching collection of scandals that hit the WWF in 1992. The topics include:
- A Current Affair covering the scandals, which included, at the last minute, a letter that Murray Hodgson sent Vince McMahon out of the blue looking for work…while he was suing the WWF. Also: The production of the segment leads to an incredibly strange, forgotten Wrestling Observer item about someone claiming to be a former wrestler going to different shows with conflicting versions of what he said Rita Chatterton told him about Vince McMahon…before disappearing.
- How the scandals begat John Arezzi and Vince Russo splitting as business partners, with both giving their sides in material that we didn’t have when we did the “Vince Russo Origins” show a few years ago.
- John Arezzi and Bill Kunkle writing about their memories of Mel Phillips’ red flags going back to the mid-1970s.
- Sid Justice getting suspended for cheating on a drug test.
- Steve Planamenta word vomiting to Mike Mooneyham about the successes and failures of the drug testing program so far.
- Lee Cole accusing the WWF of trying to get him sent to prison.
- Tom Zenk and Jim Ross’s thoughts on Titangate, including Zenk revealing for the first and only time that he left the WWF over a vaguely-described incident of sexual misconduct, as well as an overly glib Barry Orton interview where he goes off on Tom and Lee Cole.
- Vince McMahon benefitting from how many different stories were being shoved into one overarching “WWF scandals” box.
- The WWF repeatedly airing matches with Mel Phillips doing ring announcing during this period.
All that and much more on the latest installment of a series that’s become increasingly relevant in 2022 over the last few weeks.
0:00:00 Week of April 27, 1992
0:44:06 Week of May 4, 1992
1:38:52 Weeks of May 11 & May 18, 1992
2:08:36 Week of May 25, 1992
3:14:58 Weeks of June 1 & June 8, 1992
To support the show and get access to exclusive rewards like special members-only monthly themed shows, go to our Patreon page at Patreon.com/BetweenTheSheets and become an ongoing Patron. Becoming a Between the Sheets Patron will also get you exclusive access to not only the monthly themed episode of Between the Sheets, but also access to our new mailbag segment, a Patron-only chat room on Slack, and anything else we do outside of the main shows!
If you’re looking for the best deal on a VPN service—short for Virtual Private Network, it helps you get around regional restrictions as well as browse the internet more securely—then Private Internet Access is what you’ve been looking for. Not only will using our link help support Between The Sheets, but you’ll get a special discount, with prices as low as $1.98/month if you go with a 40 month subscription. With numerous great features and even a TV-specific Android app to make streaming easier, there is no better choice if you’re looking to subscribe to WWE Network, AEW Plus, and other region-locked services.
For the best in both current and classic indie wrestling streaming, make sure to check out IndependentWrestling.tv and use coupon code BTSPOD for a free 5 day trial! (You can also go directly to TinyURL.com/IWTVsheets to sign up that way.) If you convert to a paid subscriber, we get a kickback for referring you, allowing you to support both the show and the indie scene.
And if you'd like to support us while checking out the various promotions available on FITE TV, including their FITE+ subscription service, like BKFC, GCW, our friends at AIW and Black Label Pro, and more, you can sign up at TinyURL.com/BTSFITE.
To subscribe, you can find us on iTunes, Google Play, and just about every other podcast app's directory, or you can also paste Feeds.FeedBurner.com/BTSheets into your favorite podcast app using whatever “add feed manually” option it has.
Support this podcast at — https://redcircle.com/between-the-sheets/donations
Advertising Inquiries: https://redcircle.com/brands