Ep. #440: January 9-16, 19875h 15m | Jan 15, 2024
Kris and David are guestless as we discuss the week-plus that was January 9-16, 1987. Topics of discussion include:
- A look at the WWF and Jim Crockett Promotions running against each other on the same night in Philadelphia, which would become a common deal through the rest of the 80's. We talk about who had the better show both in the ring and at the box office.
- The weird story of Jim Neidhart being charged with (and eventually being tried for and acquitted of) assaulting a U.S. Air flight attendant on a trip from Tampa to Pittsburgh, which was the first case that Jerry McDevitt ever worked for the WWF.
- The Dynamite Kid returning home from the hospital after his near-career ending back injury.
- Why the Roddy Piper vs. Adrian Adonis feud was dying at the box office.
- Jerry Stubbs working as "A. Sheik" in All Japan.
- Tatsumi Fujinami and Kengo Kimura doing big business with their mini-feud in New Japan.
- Mike Von Erich's rough tour of New Japan.
- Kevin Sullivan returning to Florida yet again as the booker.
- Jerry Lawler getting posted crotch first by Austin Idol and Tommy Rich in Memphis and suffering pro wrestling’s first-ever in-storyline ruptured testicle.
- Ted DiBiase: Super babyface in the UWF.
- Bruiser Brody taking over the book in World Class and the expectations for how his run should go.
- Jim Crockett wanting to return to Canada with Angelo Mosca as his front-man.
- Vladimir Petrov’s TV debut.
- Why do young men outside of the core Crockett territory hate the Rock ’n’ Roll Express?
All that and much more, including a free preview of our latest Patreon show, on a very fun episode of BTS!!!!
0:00:00 War of Philadelphia & WWF
1:15:25 Int’l: AJPW, NJPW, AJW, All-Star, Montreal, Stampede, & WWC
1:41:46 Classic Commercial Break
2:24:20 USA East: NYC, Sgt. Slaughter, Deep South, CWF, Continental, & CWA/Memphis
3:07:14 USA West: UWF, WCCW, Central States, AWA, & Portland
4:19:57 Jim Crockett Promotions
4:58:47 Patreon Preview: Kerry Von Erich talks to John Clark about going to rehab at the Betty Ford Clinic
To support the show and get access to exclusive rewards like special members-only monthly themed shows, go to our Patreon page at Patreon.com/BetweenTheSheets and become an ongoing Patron. Becoming a Between the Sheets Patron will also get you exclusive access to not only the monthly themed episode of Between the Sheets, but also access to our new mailbag segment, a Patron-only chat room on Slack, and anything else we do outside of the main shows!
If you’re looking for the best deal on a VPN service—short for Virtual Private Network, it helps you get around regional restrictions as well as browse the internet more securely—then Private Internet Access is what you’ve been looking for. Not only will using our link help support Between The Sheets, but you’ll get a special discount, with prices as low as $1.98/month if you go with a 40 month subscription. With numerous great features and even a TV-specific Android app to make streaming easier, there is no better choice if you’re looking to subscribe to WWE Network, AEW Plus, and other region-locked services.
For the best in both current and classic indie wrestling streaming, make sure to check out IndependentWrestling.tv and use coupon code BTSPOD for a free 5 day trial! (You can also go directly to TinyURL.com/IWTVsheets to sign up that way.) If you convert to a paid subscriber, we get a kickback for referring you, allowing you to support both the show and the indie scene.
And if you'd like to support us while checking out the various promotions available on FITE TV, including their FITE+ subscription service, like BKFC, GCW, our friends at AIW and Black Label Pro, and more, you can sign up at TinyURL.com/BTSFITE.
To subscribe, you can find us on iTunes, Google Play, and just about every other podcast app's directory, or you can also paste Feeds.FeedBurner.com/BTSheets into your favorite podcast app using whatever “add feed manually” option it has.
Support this podcast at — https://redcircle.com/between-the-sheets/donations
Advertising Inquiries: https://redcircle.com/brands