Ep. #424: September 20-24, 19923h 29m | Sep 25, 2023
Kris and David are guestless as we discuss the (almost-)week that was September 20-24, 1992, a Patron-requested show. Matthew Finnie laid down the $25 on our Patreon page for this week because he was at some of the WWF TV tapings in Manitoba, and you can pick your own week by doing the same thing. Topics of discussion include:
- The state of the cable TV wrestling ratings and house show attendance, which were both hitting all-time lows around this time.
- “Cowboy” Bill Watts speaking very candidly to Dave Meltzer about a number of topics in WCW, including Brian Pillman's status, the top rope rule, and lots more in a tremendous look into his psyche at this time.
- A major New Japan show in Yokohama that’s unfortunately best-remembered for the major injuries suffered by Rick Steiner and especially Masahiro Chono.
- The NJPW vs. WAR feud heating up.
- An update on the status of the Takano brothers and the details they gave the media about SWS splitting into WAR and NOW, with SWS owner Hachiro Tanaka providing start-up costs for both and making everyone who signed with NOW sign non-disparagement agreements.
- Nobuhiko Takada defeating Gary Albright for the UWFi’s Real Pro Wrestling World Heavyeight Championship at a major show in Osaka.
- The Junkyard Dog winning the USWA’s Unified World Heavyweight Championship in Memphis.
- Jim Cornette’s plans for the babyface side of SMW getting crushed by the WWF signing Steve Armstrong and Terry Taylor in the same week, with their debuts coming at the TV tapings in Manitoba.
This is one of those rare shows that doesn't have any Saturday TV shows, so there are only a couple of clips, but there’s still a lot of stuff going on here, so take a listen!!!
0:00:00 State of the Business & WCW
0:53:52 Int’l: NJPW, WAR, NOW, W*ING, UWFi, LLPW, CMLL, & UWA
1:36:26 Classic Commercial Break
2:22:24 Other USA: ICWA, SMW, USWA, Big D, ColoradoCW, & WWF
3:20:04 Patreon Preview: Did Tod Gordon REALLY carry Ric Flair’s bags at Slamboree ’94 in Philadelphia?
To support the show and get access to exclusive rewards like special members-only monthly themed shows, go to our Patreon page at Patreon.com/BetweenTheSheets and become an ongoing Patron. Becoming a Between the Sheets Patron will also get you exclusive access to not only the monthly themed episode of Between the Sheets, but also access to our new mailbag segment, a Patron-only chat room on Slack, and anything else we do outside of the main shows!
If you’re looking for the best deal on a VPN service—short for Virtual Private Network, it helps you get around regional restrictions as well as browse the internet more securely—then Private Internet Access is what you’ve been looking for. Not only will using our link help support Between The Sheets, but you’ll get a special discount, with prices as low as $1.98/month if you go with a 40 month subscription. With numerous great features and even a TV-specific Android app to make streaming easier, there is no better choice if you’re looking to subscribe to WWE Network, AEW Plus, and other region-locked services.
For the best in both current and classic indie wrestling streaming, make sure to check out IndependentWrestling.tv and use coupon code BTSPOD for a free 5 day trial! (You can also go directly to TinyURL.com/IWTVsheets to sign up that way.) If you convert to a paid subscriber, we get a kickback for referring you, allowing you to support both the show and the indie scene.
And if you'd like to support us while checking out the various promotions available on FITE TV, including their FITE+ subscription service, like BKFC, GCW, our friends at AIW and Black Label Pro, and more, you can sign up at TinyURL.com/BTSFITE.
To subscribe, you can find us on iTunes, Google Play, and just about every other podcast app's directory, or you can also paste Feeds.FeedBurner.com/BTSheets into your favorite podcast app using whatever “add feed manually” option it has.
Support this podcast at — https://redcircle.com/between-the-sheets/donations
Advertising Inquiries: https://redcircle.com/brands