Ep. #419: August 12-20, 1990 with Beau James6h 6m | Aug 21, 2023
Kris and David are joined by Beau James (@kingofkingsport) to discuss the week-plus that was August 12-20, 1990. Topics of discussion include:
- The WWF's build for SummerSlam’ 90, including the big Tugboat injury angle, where we try to figure out why it happened.
- “Tag Team,” Jesse Ventura and Roddy Piper's TV series, gets cancelled by ABC before it makes air.
- A big night of wrestling in Japan featuring Jumbo Tsuruta "injuring" Mitsuharu Misawa, major title changes in New Japan, and a major AJW show.
- A major UWF card in Yokohama featuring Masaharu Funaki beating Nobuhiko Takada for the first time.
- Herb Abrams getting ready for his big UWF press conference at John Arezzi’s first fan convention while Joe Pedicino is also rumored to be readying his own start-up.
- Eddie Gilbert running wild in Memphis including a TV angle with his dear friend John Gillam.
- Tessa and Dirty White Girl going to war in Memphis.
- Jeff Gaylord's big babyface turn.
- The Chris & Toni Adams vs. Steve Austin & Jeanne Clarke feud continuing in Dallas after the last big angle got USWA Championship Sports canceled by KTVT.
- Terry Taylor making his return to Dallas to help Gary Young.
- Jim Herd speaking candidly to Matwatch about many subjects.
- Dave Meltzer gives his thoughts on WCW’s TV problems, of which there were many, such as (surprise!) airing segments out of order..
- All kinds of other WCW insanity, as the promotion was a complete mess at this time.
This was an awesome show as it always is when Beau’s riding with us, so you don't want to miss out!!!
0:00:00 Beau’s preamble about SMW spot shows
1:24:42 Int’l: AJPW, NJPW, SWS, FMW, UWF, AJW, CWA, AGPW. CNWA, Stampede, EMLL, & UWA
2:14:17 Classic Commercial Break
2:45:58 Other USA: Nielsen Ratings, John Arezzi, Herb Abrams’ UWF, Joe Pedicino, GASW, Peach State, GCW (Ray Candy), Chris Cruise, PWF (FL), Continental, USWA, TWF, Larry Matysik, PWA, Ivan Putski, Madusa, & Portland
5:47:49 Patreon Preview: 1992 Ole Anderson on Jim Herd, Black wrestlers, and Black community outreach
To support the show and get access to exclusive rewards like special members-only monthly themed shows, go to our Patreon page at Patreon.com/BetweenTheSheets and become an ongoing Patron. Becoming a Between the Sheets Patron will also get you exclusive access to not only the monthly themed episode of Between the Sheets, but also access to our new mailbag segment, a Patron-only chat room on Slack, and anything else we do outside of the main shows!
If you’re looking for the best deal on a VPN service—short for Virtual Private Network, it helps you get around regional restrictions as well as browse the internet more securely—then Private Internet Access is what you’ve been looking for. Not only will using our link help support Between The Sheets, but you’ll get a special discount, with prices as low as $1.98/month if you go with a 40 month subscription. With numerous great features and even a TV-specific Android app to make streaming easier, there is no better choice if you’re looking to subscribe to WWE Network, AEW Plus, and other region-locked services.
For the best in both current and classic indie wrestling streaming, make sure to check out IndependentWrestling.tv and use coupon code BTSPOD for a free 5 day trial! (You can also go directly to TinyURL.com/IWTVsheets to sign up that way.) If you convert to a paid subscriber, we get a kickback for referring you, allowing you to support both the show and the indie scene.
And if you'd like to support us while checking out the various promotions available on FITE TV, including their FITE+ subscription service, like BKFC, GCW, our friends at AIW and Black Label Pro, and more, you can sign up at TinyURL.com/BTSFITE.
To subscribe, you can find us on iTunes, Google Play, and just about every other podcast app's directory, or you can also paste Feeds.FeedBurner.com/BTSheets into your favorite podcast app using whatever “add feed manually” option it has.
Support this podcast at — https://redcircle.com/between-the-sheets/donations
Advertising Inquiries: https://redcircle.com/brands