Ep. #429: October 25-31, 1984 with Robert O'Connor6h 45m | Oct 30, 2023
Kris and David are joined by Robert O'Connor (@ghostofquinones) to discuss the week that was October 25-31, 1984. Topics of discussion include:
- World Class running their first ever Cotton Bowl show featuring the return of Sunshine, Chris Adams cementing his heel turn on Kevin Von Erich, and lots more.
- World Class ramping up the use of blood for the first time since the promotion started booming, which could be causing problems at the gate.
- A wild and wacky group of foreigners on tour with All Japan.
- Dave Meltzer's thoughts on Pro Wrestling USA and how valid they were.
- J.J. Dillon and the Long Riders making things hard for Vic Steamboat and the crew at his brother’s Mid-Atlantic Gym.
- Jimmy Hart making his debut on TBS for Ole's group and turning it on it's ear.
- Jay Youngblood giving Ric Flair a run for his money in Florida.
- An amazing Korstia Korchenko video airing in Memphis.
- Mid-South TV being the best in the country at the time with plenty of examples.
- The WWF going to war with Bob Geigel in St. Louis and Kansas City with head-to-head shows.
- Verne Gagne doing his best Vince McMahon impersonation with regards to his handling of no-shows on AWA shows.
- Hulk Hogan dealing with a knee injury.
- Roddy Piper making Tonga Kid a star in a big TV angle.
- The WWF and TBS starting to have problems as Nielsen ratings dwindle.
All of this and TONS more, plus O’Connor being O’Connor.
1:21:45 Int’l: AJPW, NJPW, UWF, CWA, Montreal, Vancouver All-Star, EMLL, & UWA
2:13:19 Classic Commercial Break
3:06:13 USA East: PWUSA, JCP, CWG, CWF, Southeastern, & CWA/Memphis
4:27:14 USA West: Mid-South, St. Louis, Central States, Houston, Southwest, AWA, & Portland
To support the show and get access to exclusive rewards like special members-only monthly themed shows, go to our Patreon page at Patreon.com/BetweenTheSheets and become an ongoing Patron. Becoming a Between the Sheets Patron will also get you exclusive access to not only the monthly themed episode of Between the Sheets, but also access to our new mailbag segment, a Patron-only chat room on Slack, and anything else we do outside of the main shows!
If you’re looking for the best deal on a VPN service—short for Virtual Private Network, it helps you get around regional restrictions as well as browse the internet more securely—then Private Internet Access is what you’ve been looking for. Not only will using our link help support Between The Sheets, but you’ll get a special discount, with prices as low as $1.98/month if you go with a 40 month subscription. With numerous great features and even a TV-specific Android app to make streaming easier, there is no better choice if you’re looking to subscribe to WWE Network, AEW Plus, and other region-locked services.
For the best in both current and classic indie wrestling streaming, make sure to check out IndependentWrestling.tv and use coupon code BTSPOD for a free 5 day trial! (You can also go directly to TinyURL.com/IWTVsheets to sign up that way.) If you convert to a paid subscriber, we get a kickback for referring you, allowing you to support both the show and the indie scene.
And if you'd like to support us while checking out the various promotions available on FITE TV, including their FITE+ subscription service, like BKFC, GCW, our friends at AIW and Black Label Pro, and more, you can sign up at TinyURL.com/BTSFITE.
To subscribe, you can find us on iTunes, Google Play, and just about every other podcast app's directory, or you can also paste Feeds.FeedBurner.com/BTSheets into your favorite podcast app using whatever “add feed manually” option it has.
Support this podcast at — https://redcircle.com/between-the-sheets/donations
Advertising Inquiries: https://redcircle.com/brands