Ep. #421: August 30-September 5, 2002 with Esteban el Boricua6h 49m | Sep 4, 2023
Kris and David are joined by Esteban el Boricua (@ElBoricuaPWO) to discuss the week that was August 30th-September 5th, 2002. Topics of discussion include:
- TNA going through a "soft reboot" as the Jarretts begin talks with the Carter family and Panda Energy which would lead to a sale of the promotion.
- Bill Goldberg making his All Japan debut on a Budokan Hall back-to-back doubleheader, which was memorable for many reasons, especially when the Toryumon guys worked the second night.
- One of the greatest matches in the history of Pro Wrestling NOAH going down at Korakuen Hall.
- Bob Sapp starting to become a major mainstream media star in Japan.
- Carlos Colon and the WWC threatening to sue IWAPR over using Ray Gonzalez in a story where Boricua was fantastic at giving us the full context.
- The morale of the IWA locker room not being good after Gonzalez came in.
- Konnan wrestling Carlos Colon for the first time in the WWC.
- Oprah Winfrey doing an episode of her show addressing pro wrestling's effect on children.
- Low-Ki, Chris Candido, and Tammy Sytch having a problem behind the scenes at a USA Pro show in Queens.
- The Messiah returning to CZW weeks after losing his thumb at the first ever CZW TOURNAMENT OF DEATH.
- XPW runs at the ECW Arena in Philadelphia for the first time, where we get the debut of THE JUICE BAR, starring Juventud Guerrera.
- Eric Bischoff creating the World Heavyweight Title in on Raw after Brock Lesnar and he “Undisputed” WWE Title goes exclusive tp Smackdown, and then handing the belt to Triple H in a famously polarizing segment.
- Chuck (Palumbo) proposing to Billy (Gunn) on SmackDown in a very memorable segment.
This is just the tip of iceberg of this extremely busy show, so you gotta listen to this one!!!
0:41:19 Eurasia: AJPW, NJPW, NOAH, Zero-One, BattlARTS, BJPW, DDT, Osaka Pro, Specialist Global Pro, SPWF, Bob Sapp, AJW, Arsion, GAEA, NEO, & IWA/TWA (UK)
1:44:21 Classic Commercial Break
2:10:45 Latin America: AAA, CMLL, Monterrey, IWRG, & Puerto Rico
3:19:24 Other USA: Oprah, USA Pro, ROH, Mike Lima, XWF, PCW (NJ), The Messiah, CZW, XPW, NWA Wildside, MAW, APW, Bobby Heenan, Sting, & WCW alumni
6:31:48 Patreon Preview: A very revealing sworn affidavit about racism in WCW from longtime stage coordinator Moses Williams
To support the show and get access to exclusive rewards like special members-only monthly themed shows, go to our Patreon page at Patreon.com/BetweenTheSheets and become an ongoing Patron. Becoming a Between the Sheets Patron will also get you exclusive access to not only the monthly themed episode of Between the Sheets, but also access to our new mailbag segment, a Patron-only chat room on Slack, and anything else we do outside of the main shows!
If you’re looking for the best deal on a VPN service—short for Virtual Private Network, it helps you get around regional restrictions as well as browse the internet more securely—then Private Internet Access is what you’ve been looking for. Not only will using our link help support Between The Sheets, but you’ll get a special discount, with prices as low as $1.98/month if you go with a 40 month subscription. With numerous great features and even a TV-specific Android app to make streaming easier, there is no better choice if you’re looking to subscribe to WWE Network, AEW Plus, and other region-locked services.
For the best in both current and classic indie wrestling streaming, make sure to check out IndependentWrestling.tv and use coupon code BTSPOD for a free 5 day trial! (You can also go directly to TinyURL.com/IWTVsheets to sign up that way.) If you convert to a paid subscriber, we get a kickback for referring you, allowing you to support both the show and the indie scene.
And if you'd like to support us while checking out the various promotions available on FITE TV, including their FITE+ subscription service, like BKFC, GCW, our friends at AIW and Black Label Pro, and more, you can sign up at TinyURL.com/BTSFITE.
To subscribe, you can find us on iTunes, Google Play, and just about every other podcast app's directory, or you can also paste Feeds.FeedBurner.com/BTSheets into your favorite podcast app using whatever “add feed manually” option it has.
Support this podcast at — https://redcircle.com/between-the-sheets/donations
Advertising Inquiries: https://redcircle.com/brands