Ep. #433: November 22-28, 19896h 26m | Nov 27, 2023
Kris and David are guestless as we discuss the week that was November 22-28, 1989. Topics of discussion include:
- The state of wrestling on Thanksgiving Day and how much it had changed in the back half of the 1980's.
- Ric Flair officially becoming the chairman of the WCW booking committee and why that was a bad thing for him.
- The Midnight Express “refusing to wrestle” on TBS.
- Ric Flair and The Great Muta having a big main event on World Championship Wrestling on the same show where Kevin Sullivan debuts as the new color analyst, albeit not for long.
- The New York Times spotlighting WCW with a major story.
- Giant Baba being impressed by the Nasty Boys in AJPW and caving in to the fans’ demands for the return of Rip Rogers.
- An update on Seiji Sakaguchi's business dealing with WCW.
- Koji Kitao working under a mask in the AWA to get reps in before his NJPW debut at the Tokyo Dome.
- Ed Whalen being absent from Stampede TV in its final weeks.
- Jerry Blackwell's extremely bad luck with his health and in his personal life at the time.
- Billy Jack Haynes walks out on PWF in Florida.
- The final original episode of the Continental Wrestling Federation's TV show airing over Thanksgiving weekend.
- Jerry Lawler going full heel on Memphis TV.
- Lia Maivia and friends getting acquitted in their federal racketeering case in Hawaii.
- An in-depth rundown of Survivor Series and the Saturday Night's Main Event that aired two days later on a very busy Thanksgiving weekend in the WWF.
- Hulk Hogan vs. The Genius and how polarizing that was, as well as how Hulk Hogan vs. Mr. Perfect and Randy Savage vs. Jim Duggan were not drawing well at house shows.
- Roddy Piper holding Brother Love hostage.
That just scratches the surface of everything that we talk about on this great episode of BTS!!!!
0:00:00 Dave Meltzer on Thanksgiving Night
1:22:43 Int’l: AJPW, NJPW, UWF, Stampede, EMLL, UWA, & WWC
2:06:38 Classic Commercial Break (featuring Alf)
2:12:19 Halftime (with Observer HOF results discussion)
2:49:25 Other USA: Jerry Blackwell, PWF, Continental, CWA/Memphis, USWA, HeritageCW, Central States/WWA, AWA, Portland, & Lia Maivia
To support the show and get access to exclusive rewards like special members-only monthly themed shows, go to our Patreon page at Patreon.com/BetweenTheSheets and become an ongoing Patron. Becoming a Between the Sheets Patron will also get you exclusive access to not only the monthly themed episode of Between the Sheets, but also access to our new mailbag segment, a Patron-only chat room on Slack, and anything else we do outside of the main shows!
If you’re looking for the best deal on a VPN service—short for Virtual Private Network, it helps you get around regional restrictions as well as browse the internet more securely—then Private Internet Access is what you’ve been looking for. Not only will using our link help support Between The Sheets, but you’ll get a special discount, with prices as low as $1.98/month if you go with a 40 month subscription. With numerous great features and even a TV-specific Android app to make streaming easier, there is no better choice if you’re looking to subscribe to WWE Network, AEW Plus, and other region-locked services.
For the best in both current and classic indie wrestling streaming, make sure to check out IndependentWrestling.tv and use coupon code BTSPOD for a free 5 day trial! (You can also go directly to TinyURL.com/IWTVsheets to sign up that way.) If you convert to a paid subscriber, we get a kickback for referring you, allowing you to support both the show and the indie scene.
And if you'd like to support us while checking out the various promotions available on FITE TV, including their FITE+ subscription service, like BKFC, GCW, our friends at AIW and Black Label Pro, and more, you can sign up at TinyURL.com/BTSFITE.
To subscribe, you can find us on iTunes, Google Play, and just about every other podcast app's directory, or you can also paste Feeds.FeedBurner.com/BTSheets into your favorite podcast app using whatever “add feed manually” option it has.
Support this podcast at — https://redcircle.com/between-the-sheets/donations
Advertising Inquiries: https://redcircle.com/brands