Ep. #423: September 13-18, 19874h 20m | Sep 18, 2023
Kris and David are guestless as we discuss the (almost-)week of September 13-18, 1987. Topics of discussion include:
- “Hacksaw” Jim Duggan making his return to the WWF after his firing for the New Jersey Turnpike arrest and how he was presented.
- “Million Dollar Man” Ted DiBiase's hatred of children.
- Randy Savage being upset at The Honky Tonk Man as his babyface turn is kicking into gear.
- Richard Belzer officially filing his famous personal injury lawsuit against Hulk Hogan and the WWF.
- NEW Leaders vs. NOW Leaders is going strong in New Japan even though Akira Maeda is being phased own.
- Corporal Kirchner debuts in Stampede.
- Big hair and mask matches in Mexico.
- Robert Fuller becoming the new Tennessee Stud in Continental.
- Week Two of WHEEL OF TORTURE in Memphis.
- The Iron Sheik debuting in a desolate World Class territory.
- Buddy Landel debuting in the AWA and lasting exactly one TV taping before quitting.
- The main Jim Crockett Promotions roster takes the week off for a company trip to St. Martin for the annual NWA convention.
- The status of the CWF and UWF TV shows and how much Dave Meltzer hates them as they (temporarily, as it turns out) shift towards a magazine.
All that and much much more on an extremely fun BTS, so check it out!!!
1:11;36 Int’l: AJPW, NJPW, AJW, All-Star, Ontario, Stampede, EMLL, UWA, & WWC
1:43:12 Classic Commercial Break
2:09:17 Other USA: Deep South, Continental, CWA/Memphis, WCCW, Central States, AWA, Portland, & Lisa Mavia
3:20:51 Jim Crockett Promotions: JCP proper, CWF, & UWF
4:02:49 Patreon Preview: A very revealing sworn affidavit about racism in WCW from longtime stage coordinator Moses Williams
To support the show and get access to exclusive rewards like special members-only monthly themed shows, go to our Patreon page at Patreon.com/BetweenTheSheets and become an ongoing Patron. Becoming a Between the Sheets Patron will also get you exclusive access to not only the monthly themed episode of Between the Sheets, but also access to our new mailbag segment, a Patron-only chat room on Slack, and anything else we do outside of the main shows!
If you’re looking for the best deal on a VPN service—short for Virtual Private Network, it helps you get around regional restrictions as well as browse the internet more securely—then Private Internet Access is what you’ve been looking for. Not only will using our link help support Between The Sheets, but you’ll get a special discount, with prices as low as $1.98/month if you go with a 40 month subscription. With numerous great features and even a TV-specific Android app to make streaming easier, there is no better choice if you’re looking to subscribe to WWE Network, AEW Plus, and other region-locked services.
For the best in both current and classic indie wrestling streaming, make sure to check out IndependentWrestling.tv and use coupon code BTSPOD for a free 5 day trial! (You can also go directly to TinyURL.com/IWTVsheets to sign up that way.) If you convert to a paid subscriber, we get a kickback for referring you, allowing you to support both the show and the indie scene.
And if you'd like to support us while checking out the various promotions available on FITE TV, including their FITE+ subscription service, like BKFC, GCW, our friends at AIW and Black Label Pro, and more, you can sign up at TinyURL.com/BTSFITE.
To subscribe, you can find us on iTunes, Google Play, and just about every other podcast app's directory, or you can also paste Feeds.FeedBurner.com/BTSheets into your favorite podcast app using whatever “add feed manually” option it has.
Support this podcast at — https://redcircle.com/between-the-sheets/donations
Advertising Inquiries: https://redcircle.com/brands