Ep. #426: October 4-10, 1998 with Dr. Keith Lipinski5h 54m | Oct 9, 2023
Kris and David are joined by Dr. Keith Lipinski (@KeithLipinski) to discuss the week that was October 4-10, 1998. Topics of discussion include:
- How the peak popularity of the Monday Night War are adversely affecting the Nielsen ratings of Monday Night Football.
- Brian Hildebrand getting the worst possible news about his health and how he planned to deal with it.
- One of the absolute wildest episodes of WCW Monday Nitro that ever aired on TNT, featuring the birth of the Latino World Order, Judy Bagwell going off on her son for the first time, Hulk Hogan seeing The Ultimate Warrior in the mirror, Mike Tenay & The Wolfpack’s bar crawl to find Scott Hall, Reid Flair’s TV debut, Sonny Onoo abandoning Kaz Hayashi for Ernest Miller, and tons more. (And a wacky episode of Thunder, as well.)
- Bob Backlund returning to Japan to work for BattlARTS in the B-Cup tournament.
- Alexander Karelin signs with RINGS for a match with the retiring Akira Maeda.
- In The Readers’ Pages of the Observer, Howard Brody tees off on ECW with regards to a possible angle for the NWA 50th Anniversary Show falling apart.
- Dr. Keith's first ever trip to the ECW Arena, which wasn't as much of a doozy as the show in Marietta, Georgia a week earlier that Kris was at.
- Super Nova getting so pissed off about being left off of the PWI 500 that he went off on a rant about it on his AOL message board.
- Vince McMahon getting some special visitors in his hospital room on a crazy episode of Monday Night Raw.
All of the above makes this show a must listen, but that's just the tip of the iceberg, so you need to LISTEN NOW!!!
2:23:19 Eurasia: AJPW, NJPW, BattlARTS, DDT, IWA Kokusai, Pancrase, RINGS, UFO, AJW, GAEA, L-1, & CWA
3:02:59 Classic Commercial Break
3:39:45 Mexico: CMLL & IWRG
3:53:30 Other USA: NEW, LIWF, NWA, PCW, Power Pro, & APW
5:44:18 Patreon Preview: Did Tod Gordon REALLY carry Ric Flair’s bags at Slamboree ’94 in Philadelphia?
To support the show and get access to exclusive rewards like special members-only monthly themed shows, go to our Patreon page at Patreon.com/BetweenTheSheets and become an ongoing Patron. Becoming a Between the Sheets Patron will also get you exclusive access to not only the monthly themed episode of Between the Sheets, but also access to our new mailbag segment, a Patron-only chat room on Slack, and anything else we do outside of the main shows!
If you’re looking for the best deal on a VPN service—short for Virtual Private Network, it helps you get around regional restrictions as well as browse the internet more securely—then Private Internet Access is what you’ve been looking for. Not only will using our link help support Between The Sheets, but you’ll get a special discount, with prices as low as $1.98/month if you go with a 40 month subscription. With numerous great features and even a TV-specific Android app to make streaming easier, there is no better choice if you’re looking to subscribe to WWE Network, AEW Plus, and other region-locked services.
For the best in both current and classic indie wrestling streaming, make sure to check out IndependentWrestling.tv and use coupon code BTSPOD for a free 5 day trial! (You can also go directly to TinyURL.com/IWTVsheets to sign up that way.) If you convert to a paid subscriber, we get a kickback for referring you, allowing you to support both the show and the indie scene.
And if you'd like to support us while checking out the various promotions available on FITE TV, including their FITE+ subscription service, like BKFC, GCW, our friends at AIW and Black Label Pro, and more, you can sign up at TinyURL.com/BTSFITE.
To subscribe, you can find us on iTunes, Google Play, and just about every other podcast app's directory, or you can also paste Feeds.FeedBurner.com/BTSheets into your favorite podcast app using whatever “add feed manually” option it has.
Support this podcast at — https://redcircle.com/between-the-sheets/donations
Advertising Inquiries: https://redcircle.com/brands