Brett Smith (re-release)
Hey, y'all, it's Ben -- I re-released this episode because FREEDOM'S PATH just got picked up by Paramount starting on February 1 -- and it's fantastic. It's on Showtime, a bunch of other places. It was streaming before but now it's in front of a larger audience.
Check it out if you can and then listen to the interview I did back in September with Brett Smith. See you next week.
I talk with Brett Smith about his feature directorial debut, FREEDOM'S PATH. In our conversation, we discuss:
- how he came about filmmaking -- it wasn't the usual way;
- the boldness of making a first feature film a military period piece;
- how he worked to get the racial component of the film right;
- where he shot the film;
- and whether he would make a short first or a feature if he could do it again.
Brett Smith's story shows the level of determination and resilience required to be a successful indie filmmaker.
Brett's Indie Film Director Highlight: J.A. Bayona
- FREEDOM'S PATH (https://freedomspathfilm.com/)
- Brett Smith's Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/brettttsmith/?hl=en)
- Freedom's Path Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/freedomspathfilm/?hl=en)
Support this podcast at — https://redcircle.com/first-time-go/exclusive-content