040: Automaticity Is a Weird WordShow Details41min 59s
039: Ben's Future at InVisionShow Details51min 54s
038: Holding Developers AccountableShow Details57min 54s
037: Brian Klaas Talks CloudShow Details1hr 17min
036: Blogs and Digital GardensShow Details58min 32s
035: Being a Swamp GuideShow Details47min 39s
034: Some of My Best Friends Are React Developers!Show Details44min 18s
033: Software PatentsShow Details42min 35s
032: What Comes After Senior Developer?Show Details49min 52s
031: To The Cloud! But Why?Show Details1hr 1min
030: Carol's Consult Catch-Up ConversationShow Details48min 34s
029: Potluck #2Show Details46min 8s
028: Buy vs. DIYShow Details47min 30s
027: Giving Technical PresentationsHide Details34min 15s
34min 15sPublished Jun 16, 2021 at 11:00am
As Jerry Seinfeld joked, when it comes to funerals, most people would rather be the one in the casket than the one giving the eulogy. Because, public speaking isn't easy. And, for many, it's a source of great anxiety. A technical presentation takes that anxiety and compounds it by layering on a need to provide complicated information in an engaging way. Part deep-dive, part story telling, a compelling technical presentation has to present enough information on a topic so as to deliver meaningful take-aways while, at the same time, keeping the information light enough so as not to overwhelm the audience. This week, the crew discusses presentations that they've given. And, shares tips and tricks for making your presentation a real winner!
Triumphs & Failures
- Adam's Triumph - Adam was keen to get into testing as a life-style. And, by golly, he's done it! His current project has 100% passing tests with 95% test coverage! He's also been writing blog posts on the topic of testing in order to help keep this momentum going.
- Ben's Triumph - It doesn't necessarily feel like a "triumph" in the moment; but, Ben is excited to be giving his first tech presentation in maybe a decade. He has a lot of social anxiety. But, he wants to feel more connected to the larger programming community and he thinks that giving a presentation will help take him a step in that direction.
- Carol's Triumph - Carol is winning life! She was selected to run in the Peach Tree Road Race and she's super excited to crush her previous race times! Go Carol!
- Tim's Failure - Tim is struggling to bring operational readiness and predictable performance to a legacy system whose architecture and behavior seem to defy reason. He's at the point where a "big bang" rewrite feels like the most viable path forward. This is generally considered a taboo move in the tech industry; but, he's not sure how else he can stabilize the product and provide a good Service Level Agreement (SLA) to his customers.
Notes & Links
- Patrick Winston: How to Speak - this talk, 40-years in the making, is intended to improve your speaking ability in critical situations by teaching you a few heuristic rules.
Follow the show! Our website is workingcode.dev and we're @WorkingCodePod on Twitter and Instagram. Or, leave us a message at (512) 253-2633 (that's 512-253-CODE). New episodes drop weekly on Wednesday.
And, if you're feeling the love, support us on Patreon.
026: PasswordsShow Details59min 6s
025: Breaking Up With Your StackShow Details1hr 1min
024: The Archetype of an Effective DeveloperShow Details1hr 25min
023: Book Club #1 Clean Code by "Uncle Bob" Martin (pt2)Show Details1hr 6min
022: Book Club #1 Clean Code by "Uncle Bob" Martin (pt1)Show Details1hr 11min
021: Listener Questions #2Show Details1hr 21min
020: Carol Needs a ConsultShow Details58min 15s
019: MakefilesShow Details1hr 15min
018: Feature Flags (Finally!)Show Details1hr 25min
017: Premature OptimizationShow Details53min 47s
016: InterviewingShow Details1hr 16min
015: Potluck #1Show Details1hr 22min
014: Zen and the Art of Pull RequestsShow Details1hr 12min
013: Do What You Love And You'll Never Work A Day In Your LifeShow Details46min 51s
012: Idiomatic CodeShow Details42min 3s
011: Listener Questions #1Show Details1hr 10min
010: ScalingShow Details1hr 9min
009: TestingShow Details58min 13s
008: Origin Stories Pt 2Show Details1hr 11min
007: Origin Stories Pt 1Show Details58min 5s
006: Hopes for 2021Show Details57min 13s
005: Monolith vs. MicroservicesShow Details42min 44s
004: Impostor SyndromeShow Details1hr 18min
003: Burnout, Mental Exhaustion, and ProductivityShow Details1hr 4min
002: Working from homeShow Details54min 24s
001: Adam's Secret ShameShow Details1hr 8min
000: Hello, World!Show Details8min 4s