S3E10 Mental Health Special 2: Decriminalizing Attempted Suicide (The intersectionality, inaccessibility, and stigmatization of mental health care in Malaysia) (MISI Solidariti / SUHAKAM)39m | Oct 4, 2021
In part 2 today, you will be hearing from Tanushri & Siro of MISI Solidariti who campaigned for the decriminalization of attempted suicide in Malaysia as well as Dato' Mah Weng Kwai, the commissioner of SUHAKAM, which is the National Human rights institution of Malaysia.
This is a trigger warning as the episode will touch on issues surrounding suicidal ideation, domestic abuse, self-harm, depression, and LGBTQ discrimination. In this episode, our guests will talk about the history behind criminalizing attempted suicide, why this law continues to harm people and does not act as a deference to the act, the intersectionality of mental health with the pandemic, gender roles and discrimination, and what we can do to help.
To our listeners today, thank you for taking the time to learn, spread awareness and maybe even help someone else along the way.
DISCLAIMER: This episode should not be taken as medical advice and you should still consult your own mental health care provider for help.
CONTACT: MISI: Solidariti - email@example.com, SUHAKAM - firstname.lastname@example.org
- A youth-led collective aspiring to empower society through the value of direct action in Malaysian activism
- Website: https://msolidariti.org/
- Decriminalize Suicide Now Campaign: https://decriminalisesuicidenow.msolidariti.org/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/msolidariti/
- The national human rights institution of Malaysia
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/suhakam_malaysia/
- Website: https://www.suhakam.org.my/
- Suicide National Registry: https://suhakam.org.my/2021/06/press-statement-no-23-2021_suhakam-calls-for-a-revival-of-the-national-suicide-registry-malaysia-nsrm/
- Decriminalise Suicide: https://www.suhakam.org.my/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Press-Statement-No.-2-2020-Decriminalise-suicide-attempt-by-amending-the-Penal-Code.pdf
- Buddy Bear (Children): 1800-18-2327
- COVID-19 Psychosocial Line by Mercy: 03-29359935
- Let's Talk (Media Sihat): 03-29359935, 014-32223392, 011-63996482, 011-63994236
- Talian Kasih (Women): 15999 (WA - 019-2615999)
- WAO Tina (Women): 018-9888058